Friday, May 1, 2009

What am I supposed to do with my life?

For my first difficult question, I'll answer one that's plagued most everybody at some point. I'm sure there are some people out there that don't believe there is an adequate answer to this question. I disagree, even if the answer may be elusive.

I'm working on a masters thesis right now that deals with a particular chapter of Augustine's Confessions. Today I learned something interesting about the man...

There was a period in Augustine's life when he refused to visit any city that didn't have a bishop. This was after his baptism, but before he'd been ordained as a priest. He was worried that if he stopped in a town that didn't have a bishop, they might make him one.

One day Augustine found himself in the city of Hippo Regius, in an area of Africa that today lies within the borders of Algeria. He was in the entry area of a church, having a simple conversation with some friends. Inside the church there was a meeting going on. The bishop was there, and they were talking about the need for men in God's service. The church didn't have a priest at the time.

You can see where this is going...

Somebody told the people that Aurelius Augustinus was right outside, and they all ran out and grabbed him. That's right. Augustine was assaulted by a mob that drug him inside the church, where the bishop ordained him on the spot as a priest (and later as a bishop).

So how did Augustine escape the life to which he had clearly been called for so long? Simple. He didn't have a wife.

At least that's my theory.

Tonight I attended a dinner at school for scholarship recipients. It was an opportunity for us to meet our generous patrons (and matrons?), and an opportunity for them to make sure they weren't wasting their money.

As I was sitting at the table with the super-cool people that are responsible for the equivalent of my car payment each month, I couldn't help thinking that no one deserves more credit for me being there than my wife.

From the day I met her, she was talking me into this. For years I've wanted to try and go into a Ph.D. program, so I can one day become a professor. I'd never have started the process without her.

So my point is this: if you're really stuck on what you ought to do with your life, maybe you ought to just listen to the woman, get off your butt, and go do whatever it is she's been telling you to do. Worked for me!

-Solid

1 comment:

  1. You got lucky. We were THIS CLOSE to mobbing you when Julie came along...

    ReplyDelete