Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When will God bless me?

I got to thinking about this the other day. A few people heard me talking about it Sunday morning before church. I’ve got this idea, see. This comes from years of hearing this question from friends, from Christians across the world, and from my own mouth.

This will be a short post, because I’d rather leave time for you to think about this than have you read about the jet we just won in Rock Band. And I should disclose that my Christian readers will probably get a lot more out of this than the others.

The general idea is this… We (Christians in particular) look at other Christians as God blesses them with things we want too, or we go through difficult times that seem to never end, or no matter how hard we work, we feel like we’re not making the progress we hoped for, and then we ask this question. “When will God bless me?” “When is it my turn?” Or maybe even, “When will God finally get up and do something about this mess that I call a life?” Yeah, I know how that sounds. I’m trying to be REAL here, people!





So here it is. I’m just gonna lay it on ya. Are you ready? Are you sitting down? Cause I think this may blow your mind, or at least mess up your theology a little.


I think the biggest reason people ask this question is that they’re looking for worldly blessings. Now let me clarify that a little. I don’t think it’s wrong to want a nice house, and I’m not gonna condemn anybody for driving a BMW. I am a capitalist, after all.


The point is that God’s blessings don’t always take the form we’d like. If you are a Christian, let me ask you a few questions.


  1. Where would your life be without God?
  2. Assuming your life is different because you know God, what caused the change? Was it what you did, or what God did?
  3. What sort of authority has God given you through the death and resurrection of Christ? Where have you seen that authority at work?
  4. Would you trade any of that for something you’ve been asking God for but haven’t received?


You see where I’m going with this. It’s not just that heavenly things are of greater value than earthly treasures (c.f. Matthew 6:19-20). It’s that whatever God’s given you is something you needed more than whatever you were looking for. The other stuff might have even messed it up. God knew what he was doing. Always has and always will.


So don’t go around feeling like God hasn’t blessed you. And if you don’t feel like you’re receiving the kind of blessing I’m talking about here, send me an email at solidfooting(at)gmx(dot)com. Maybe I can help you out.


Have a blessed day, people!



-Solid


P.S. For more on this topic, read Philippians 3!


No comments:

Post a Comment